Monday, November 21, 2011

Homework 11/21

1) check to see your blog listed on the right column. If it's not there, you have a zero for the Term 1 ROAR notes

2) first set of ROAR bildungsroman notes! Make sure you have at least 60 pages covered by the summary.

3) Poem reading and questions, have these completed for Wednesday.

"The Sloth"
 What is the poem’s structure?    
-stanza and line arrangement?   
-end rhyme scheme? 
What is the poem’s meter?            
-line length (count the syllables)   
What is the poem’s rhythm?    
-scan line eleven (stressed and unstressed)    
-how does line 7 mimic the sloth’s manner?  
What does the Sloth know?
------------------------------------------
"Piano"
 What is the poem’s structure?    
-line and stanza arrangement?
 -end rhyme scheme?
What is the poem’s sound?  
 -assonance (line 5)
 -Consonance (line 11 and 12)
What do these words mean?    
-vista (2)     -poised (4)     -insidious (5)     -clamour (9)     -appassionato (10)
What image is used to describe sadness in line 12?
--------------------------------------------------------------
"Tonight I can write" (not found online)

Tonight I can write the saddest lines.

Write, for example, 'The night is starry
and the stars are blue and shiver in the distance.'

The night wind revolves in the sky and sings.

Tonight I can write the saddest lines.
I loved her, and sometimes she loved me too.

Through nights like this one I held her in my arms.
I kissed her again and again under the endless sky.

She loved me, sometimes I loved her too.
How could one not have loved her great still eyes.

Tonight I can write the saddest lines.
To think that I do not have her. To feel that I have lost her.

To hear the immense night, still more immense without her.
And the verse falls to the soul like dew to the pasture.

What does it matter that my love could not keep her.
The night is starry and she is not with me.

This is all. In the distance someone is singing. In the distance.
My soul is not satisfied that it has lost her.

My sight tries to find her as though to bring her closer.
My heart looks for her, and she is not with me.

The same night whitening the same trees.
We, of that time, are no longer the same.

I no longer love her, that's certain, but how I loved her.
My voice tries to find the wind to touch her hearing.

Another's. She will be another's. As she was before my kisses.
Her voice. Her bright body. Her infinite eyes.

I no longer love her, that's certain, but maybe I love her.
Love is so short, forgetting is so long.

Because through nights like this one I held her in my arms
my soul is not satisfied that it has lost her.

Though this be the last pain that she makes me suffer
and these the last verses that I write for her.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
What is the poem’s structure in the translated poem?   
-line and stanza arrangement?   
-why are lines 19 and 20 parallel in the translated poem?    
What is the poem’s structure in the original poem? 
-is there parallelism in lines 19 and 20?        
-end rhyme scheme?  
How does the poem use anaphora? 
-what do you see and hear in line 26?  
What is ironic about the speaker’s feelings in lines 29-32?

"Fifteen"
 What is the poem’s structure? 
-line and stanza arrangement? 
What is the only line that is not part of an enjambed line?  
How does the poem sound?      -consonance (line 9)     -assonance (line 7)  
How does the speaker have a Bildungsroman moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment